Monday, June 21, 2010

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is today's lesson. Letting go of those things that have hurt or betrayed us in the past. Forgiving those people who have knowingly or unknowingly inflicted pain upon us. Because those things keep us tied to the very people we think we're running from to protect ourselves from more pain. Sometimes I feel justified in my unforgiveness - thinking someone may not deserve to receive that from me. I think I have confused forgiveness with lack of boundaries. I can still set my boundaries so that I am true to myself, yet extend forgiveness to that person, thereby releasing all the "crud" that subsequently develops in me (guilt, bitterness, etc.), seeing what "gift" I can receive or insight I can gain from this experience, and open up my heart and life to move on. Sounds easy, eh? Yeah - until we start digging around deep down in there to find all kinds of stuff we've conveniently set aside to try to forget. Little by little, those things have a way of re-surfacing so we can deal with them. Here we go...let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment