Thursday, June 3, 2010

Letting Go

Letting go - it's more than just "setting aside" in order to pick up later. It's different than "I'll get back to that after while". It's stopping or dropping something...maybe forever. What a hard concept for me to embrace. Whether it's letting go of a habit that no longer serves my lifestyle, letting go of a tight grasp on children who are now grown, letting go of a relationship that's no longer healthy for my emotional life, or letting go of the way things have been done in the past to make way for new avenues - it all seems unsettling. In alot of my media connections i.e., massage magazines, blog postings, catalogs, etc., I see tools to assist in "letting go" such as essential oils to wear to help you let go and envision your life without the "released" object, candles to light with the intention of symbolizing the object being gone as the candle burns down, etc., etc., so it must be an area that is difficult for others besides me. The truth is that sometimes we have to let go of some things in order to make room for new ones - we can't continue to do things the old way, if we want to grow and let new things come in. I am quite a creature of habit and find this something I have to really focus on and pay attention to, if I want to move on. If we continue to take on more and more and never let go and move on from anything, we'll be so bogged down, it'll be hard to move at all! So why is it so hard? Isn't it a part of life - lots of things are temporary, so why is it so scary when those things are gone? And why is it so incredibly difficult to make myself let go of things....anything! I don't know. Maybe it just feels secure and safe to be in the same place doing the same things all the time. But I'm beginning to pay better attention to the fact that, at least ever once in awhile, I have to stop and evaluate and see what I need to let go of in order to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment