Sunday, May 22, 2011

Getting old

I think in each person's mind there is a general age or event or milestone that signifies old to them. Sometimes you might not even be aware of it - maybe it's a certain number of years in age that indicates old to you or something happening, like new aches and pains, forgetting things frequently, wearing readers, needing to sleep alot, or saying whatever you want. I heard a young girl say one time that she couldn't wait to get old so she could say whatever she wanted and not get in trouble because all the old women she knew said rude things and got away with it - lol!. Out of the mouth of babes, eh? Well, one of the things that I guess subconsciously I have always considered a sign of the aging times was not just needing glasses or readers, but the fact that you wore them on a chain or pretty necklace or whatever your choice of attachment to keep them close by so, (1) you don't lose them, and (2) they're close in proximity so you can whip them off and on at a moment's notice. I've worn glasses for the last few years, mainly for close up seeing (which is in itself, a sign of the aging times). This past week they broke and I don't want new ones, so I'm using readers. In and out of the purse, on top of the head, and now, yes, yesterday I bought a little fixture that I will bead and attach to a necklace and I will now join the crowd of old women who wear their readers on their chest - yes, I have arrived. I am old. It's a bittersweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment