Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lucky Bamboo



While on the Spoon River Drive Sunday, we came upon a little booth with bamboo plants. Now, if you know me at all, you know that you only give me a plant if you have a death wish for it - I don't know how or why - perhaps it's my special gift - but I kill plants. Not on purpose - I actually love plants. But I always kill them. My grandma used to say I was the only person she knew who could kill a philodendron. A common saying after a funeral where there are really too many flowers to distribute - "give those to Deb". Hmmm.. Anyway, I digress. A couple of years ago Mallory bought a lucky bamboo plant and, unlucky for the plant, while she was away once I was responsible and actually killed an almost unkillable plant. Not to be disheartened, I bought one on Sunday. It's a Lucky Bamboo - the Chinese say it will bring luck, prosperity and something else good that has currently slipped my mind, to you and yours - I bought it because I think they look really cool. Apparently, to care for these plants you put them in your chosen container, put in some rocks (Lord knows I have plenty of those around - I chose a handful of polished brown agates) and cover the roots with water. Then the last step is of utmost importance where I am concerned - leave the poor thing alone! You just have to replace the water as it evaporates so the roots are always covered in water. Here's his picture - he needs a name. I'll think on that and let you know. Oh yeah - I bought the "twisty" one on purpose. The lady said it had been trained when it was little to grow like that.

P.S. In a rash decision I wore tennis shoes to Spoon River Drive Sunday - big mistake. It's been a year and a half since I had "real" shoes on and my feet were NOT happy with me! Oops!


No comments:

Post a Comment