Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Busyness of the Season

Oh my! "Busy", "hustle and bustle", "busier than a kitty covering up do-do" - none of those words even seem to come close to conveying the actual activity that moves to the top of my to do list this time of year. My list has gone from "things I need to do" to "things I need to do by today", "things that need to be done before tomorrow", "things that have to be accomplished by Saturday", etc., etc.! I LOVE it! This is my favorite time of the year - I love the decorations, I love the gift finding, giving, and buying, I love the get togethers - I could go on and on and on. I do realize that Jesus' birthday is not actually December 25th - however, the setting aside of some time to remember his birth is a very meaningful time to me. This time of year reminds me of just how much God loves us - it's all around us in the beautiful "painting" of the landscape, the fabulous harvest moon we had, then in the blanketing of the snow (whether you like the snow or not, you have to agree, it is beautiful as it comes down and gathers together on the ground). And then, of course, the giving - I just believe (and live my life) that we, as humans, are really one big family, and we have to take care of each other. This time of year it seems to be so much more in the forefront of my mind - maybe because of the cold weather, and I really enjoy giving to others. Don't misunderstand - I didn't just strike oil or win the lottery. But if we each give the little extra we have, together we can make a difference. I encourage you to make an effort to give something to someone this season - maybe it's groceries, maybe it's paying for the person's food behind you in the drive through line, maybe it's offering to babysit for a single mom - you know what you're able to do. Let's celebrate God's love this year by giving just a little to others - you'll be surprised at how doing so seems to "connect" you to others and to the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment