Monday, February 25, 2013

Believe it or not!

I recently heard a story I could hardly believe. I felt like the person telling the story was credible and had told the truth, but my brain was having a hard time embracing the whole of the story. So, I looked it up on the internet and found it to be a true story (I can't question everything, so I have to just take someone at their word and the internet won!). Anyhoo, there was a study conducted approximately 7 years ago or so (you'll hopefully forgive my terrible attention to details) using a placebo effect. A placebo effect, as I understand it, entails leading someone to believe they have received some type of treatment that they did not in fact receive, and the results are then calculated. This particular study divided its' participants into three groups - all participants had knee trouble and pain. One group was given extensive corrective surgery, one group was given minimal surgery, and one group was opened up and then just closed back up with no corrections administered at all. All participants were told that they had received the most extensive surgery. After following all the participants for a period of two years, everyone reported the same results - all had better range of motion and no pain. Even the ones who were just cut open, then sewn shut. This article was indicating that insurance companies should evaluate paying for surgeries that, in fact, were not necessary if people could be convinced to be better without the surgery. I took away a whole different thought. Once again, our western world of medicine refuses to acknowledge the mind body connection and the power our belief system has over our whole self, including our physical health. One could conclude, therefore, that whatever we believe, we can achieve; that as a man thinks in his heart, so is he; that a merry heart does good like a medicine; that if I think I can, I can - if I think I dare not, don't. Food for thought (no pun intended). Long ago I read a story about two people, both stricken with cancer. Each person and their family was called in by their respective doctors to hear the results of their testing. The first doctor told his patient, I'm sorry, but we found your body to be full of cancer. You probably have about 3 months to live - go home, get your affairs in order. We'll keep you as comfortable as possible. The second doctor also told his patient, I'm sorry, but we found your body to be full of cancer. However, miracles happen everyday, and there's no reason that you shouldn't receive one. Go to the beach, enjoy your family, do what you want to do. Who knows how long you'll live - maybe years. You guessed it - the first patient died in 3 months. The second patient lived 2 years. I think we are missing a big portion of what our lives could be, by denying the power of our minds. Change your thinking, change your world.

No comments:

Post a Comment