Monday, April 4, 2011

Pete and Repeat

My nephew, Terrance, is 9 and in the 3rd grade. One of his favorite things to do lately is to say this little rhyme with you - "Pete and Repeat went out in a boat. Pete fell in, so who was left?" And then, of course, when you say repeat, he repeats the line again. Well, that's kinda how I felt about my life today when I ran across a couple of old journals. Now, first of all, you have to know something about me - I believe in journalling. I think it's a wonderful habit with alot of benefits that everyone should have. You also have to recognize that I get very busy and don't keep up with my journalling - so I have about 10 journals all over my house with about a week to a month's worth of daily writing in them. So today, I was looking for a journal to write some things in when I came across one with writings from 1996 in it and one with a few writings in it from 2005 - in comes Pete and Repeat! I found that I am dealing with and jabbering about the same issues today, in 2011, that I was in 1996 and 2005. Light bulb! I've been walking down the same street for all these years! The players have different names, the house has a different address, but basically, I'm facing the same issues that have subconsciously ruled my life for a number of years. Now before we think I'm completely stuck in cement, I have to say, I have successfully set some boundaries (which, of course, have led to some loss of relationships in my life - but that's for another blog entry), and I have made some headway in some other areas - my children have grown up to be smart, functioning adults in this world. But I'm referring to some core issues that have influenced the choices I make each and every day. I apparently don't recognize those issues so undealt with, they keep showing up in the next event or relationship, but nonetheless, they are obviously there. It's fun and interesting to read old journals - my goal now is to identify those root issues that need pulling out and see if I can't write a journal that has new information in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment