Monday, December 20, 2010

Pay it Forward!

Pay it forward has been a concept that I've been hearing about for about 10 years - at least in those specific terms - well, I guess since I saw the movie by the same name. I always try to live my life in a way that is comfortable to me - you know, agrees with my insides about how I should do things, so I always try to be helpful when I can anyway, without much thought of receiving back (usually!). My problem seems to be that I always feel like I don't have much money or much to give - but the point is that even little kindnesses go a long way. Anyway the other day one of the hairdressers where I have my shop drove through Starbucks and, sure enough, when she got to the window to pay, the guy ahead of her had paid for her coffee. That had happened to her once before but, without her even noticing, the guy ahead of her was her dad, so that doesn't really count - ha! But this time it was just a random guy who paid for the car behind him and said "Merry Christmas". This is the last week before we come to the day that we have set aside to celebrate the birth of the One who gave it all. This week let's try an experiment and see how many "little kindnesses" we can do for others as we hustle and bustle around finishing up all our last minute things for our own celebrations - I feel very confident that we will be blessed even more than the ones who receive our kindnesses, as we step outside of ourselves and our happenings, and share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment