Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Success

How do you define success and categorize someone as successful? Is it by how much money you acquire? By the kind of car you drive or price of the clothes you wear? By the size of the house you live in or the town or subdivision your house sits in? Is it determined by whether you rent or purchase your dwelling place or how it's decorated? Or is it characterized by how kind you are, how much you give away to others? I know there are causes to feel successful in smaller steps along the way; i.e., we were successful in our quest to make my brother's 50th birthday special. But I'm talking about that overall, general assertation of one's status, and, ultimately, how a person feels about whether they are successful or not. Some time ago I heard a person say that we can judge whether we are successful or not by looking at how effective we have been at "passing on" to the next generation our values, morals, etc. The things that are passionate in our lives - have we been able to communicate and instill those same passions to our next generation. Wow. That kinda puts a whole new perspective on the word, doesn't it? When I evaluate the things in my life that are truly, grassroots important to me, hands down what I believe life is really all about - have I made it obvious that those things are important to me, lived my life that way, and thus passed those thoughts and ideas on to those in the next generation that I have relationship with? Interesting food for thought. In our efforts, for example, to make the next generation more comfortable, have we led them to believe, by our example, that the making of the money is the goal or the job is the most important thing? Have we inadvertently communicated by our actions that Christmas is all about who can save all year (or pay off credit cards all next year) for the distinction of purchasing the best gifts for everyone, instead of the motivation behind those gifts - that we love and cherish our families and friends and wanted to "gift" them because of that love? It would be interesting to inquire of our next generation (and the next because our grandparents have quite an influence on us also) what things they have picked up as important from the way we've lived our lives. My children are grown and I have no grandchildren yet, but I believe I still have time to give them the benefit of the knowledge and wisdom I have acquired in my 51 years - they might not just blindly believe it like they did when they were younger, but if I live my life exemplifying the things I believe with all my heart, surely they will take notice and learn how life works. Be aware today of what message your actions might be sending to those who know you - are you making it obvious what's important to you by the way you live? Today I'm going to try to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment