Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Put it out there!

I've often said it would be a great idea if we all just wore t-shirts that say what we want others to know, but for whatever reason, don't get to say. What would mine say right now? Oh, I might have several I'd switch out currently, but my main attire would probably say, "I'm doing the best I can". Somedays I might wear the t-shirt that says, "I need some credit and appreciation" or "I'm tired". Somedays my attire might announce, "I'm stressed" or "I'm scared". And, of course, I would have to have a t-shirt that said "I'm feeling silly" or "I love to laugh". I know that the "why" of how we act is not so simply dealt with, but I just have always believed if we had a little insight into why people act the way they do sometimes, we would have a little more compassion and be a little nicer. Not that we have to dwell on our misfortunes or seek to have a large amount of people show up at a pity party given by ourselves in our own honor - but that we'd just be a little kinder or more gracious. What do you think? If we all wore a shirt with our information of the day on it, how would that change our interactions with others? Would we stop and converse more (instead of all the electronic communication)? Would we reach out and give someone a needed pat on the back or a smile? I would like to suggest that we are all, in fact, wearing our "invisible" t-shirts and if we look and listen hard enough and long enough, we will begin to understand how people's lives have been shaped by their experiences. I'm not trying to make excuses for bad behavior - I just think it would be wonderful if people could stop judging each other and start being a little nicer. Let me know - on any given day, what might your t-shirt say?

No comments:

Post a Comment