Sunday, January 3, 2010

Changing world

I grew up in Tremont - lived 9/10 of my life there - we affectionately call it "Tinyville". Only there can you leave your atm card in the bank atm and someone else brings it home to you. Only there can you accidentally mail your bank deposit instead of your bills and go in and have them dig it out for you! It reminds me of that movie Have you heard about the Morgans, when a townsperson tells them everyone leaves their keys in their car in case someone needs to borrow it. But I digress. Maybe that's why I've been accused of being "naive" or maybe it's just my personality, but I am continually surprised these days at people and their attitudes. The other day I had to go to the "Communist store" (Walmart) - ok, I didn't HAVE to, but it was late at night after I got off work and it was the most convenient for me - that's how they're taking over the world. Anyway, I had some soda and a case of water for work on the bottom of my cart. The cashier said I didn't have to take them out, she'd come around with her wand thingy and scan them. While I was putting my bags in the cart, she gave me a total and I realized she never scanned my drinks, so I told her. She was sooooo appreciative and went on and on and on about how she couldn't believe someone would actually be honest when it hurt them financially. I said, are you kidding me? I planned to purchase these items, not steal them. She laughed, but said really, you'd be surprised at how many people wouldn't have said anything - have we really become that dishonest, just to save a few bucks? Then yesterday I had lunch with an old friend and as I pulled in the restaurant parking lot, I saw a nice glove laying on the ground. So I took it in with me and gave it to the hostess, saying I thought someone might come back looking for it. She was obviously aggravated with me. What did I want her to do about it, she asked. Well, I said I just thought someone might come back and ask if someone turned it in, then she would have it. She rolled her eyes at me - SHE ROLLED HER EYES AT ME - (I couldn't believe that part!) and threw the glove under the reception desk. Wow. Have we really become that uncaring about someone else and their needs? Sad to me. It just made me that much more determined to adhere to my Christian values - in this day and age, my friends, we should stick out more and more by our exemplary behavior - and it doesn't appear that, in this changing world, it will even be that difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment