Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How do I see things?

Once again, as I ponder the current happenings in my life, the word perception pops to the forefront. If you put 10 people in a room and showed them a picture or a short video clip, then asked questions, you'd get completely different answers from each one. Did you ever see that movie "Man of the House". It was about some cheerleaders (5 or 6 I think) who witnessed a man being shot. When asked about the shooter, they said things like, "he was tall", "he was short", "he was blonde", "he was bald". Now they all saw the same man, so how could that be? An unconscious thing happens as we process what we see - it's "filtered", if you will, through our own experiences and knowledge, thus it's always truth to us, but very rarely is it the complete and accurate truth. The problem comes in, I think, (as if this discrepancy weren't enough), that 99.9% of us tend to forget this fact, and we believe that what we see and think and perceive is the honest to goodness truth and so, by a process of elimination, the other person must be wrong. Hmmm. This causes some confusion, some chaos, and often some hurt feelings. I have a friend with whom I experience this alot. This particular friend tends to think they know what I'm going to say, and I think, since I love details and talk lots, this person's mind tends to wander. Then later, when something doesn't fall into place correctly, this friend will say, "but you said", and I always have to say, "that's not what I said - that might be what you heard, but it wasn't what I said". It occurs to me that only God knows the actual 100% correct truth. My only hope of knowing that truth in each situation comes by letting Him shine His spotlight and show me. So that's my prayer...show me the truth; I also try really hard to remember this whole scenario of process and make room for it in my life - you know, kind of the old adage, putting myself in someone else's shoes and checking out the view from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment