Thursday, April 29, 2010

We're all different!

Everyone looks different, everyone sounds different, everyone acts different, and EVERYONE THINKS DIFFERENT! (Or should those all be differently?) Whew! I need to emphasize that to hopefully get it in my head once and for all. I somehow fall into this pattern of thinking (sub-consciously, of course) that everyone thinks and, therefore does things exactly like I would. Not truth! We are all different and we do things and think differently about things. Things that are a "given" to me, are the furthest thing priority wise for someone else. It's a hard spot to maneuver, I think, when I want to communicate how I think without sounding like I know more or my way is better or whatever, and to make room for someone else's way of doing things or thinking about things. Now there are things that are standard truth - not changing by who thinks them true or not. But when it comes to ways of doing things or opinions about things, it might help to realize that everyone's background experience is different, and therefore, their feelings and thinking about things will be approached from a different angle and they'll most likely do things in a little different way than I do. But that doesn't mean they're wrong or that I'm wrong. We just need to make room in our space for each other and our differences. Who knows - someday we might even grow to appreciate the variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment