Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Rez Sisters

My friends Judy and Marilea (pictured here) took me to a play last night at Illinois Wesleyan. Marilea really does have eyes - they're just closed in this picture - ha! Anyway, the play was called The Rez Sisters and it was about the plight of the Native American Woman in today's America. Of course, Wesleyan doesn't sport a large native population, so the ladies in the play were not native, but we used our imaginations. As I thought about the point to the play, it occurred to me that all women have the same "plight" if you will - some seem to have more susceptibility to fall into patterns of poverty, abuse, etc., but overall we all could be faced with the same difficulties. I am extremely blessed to live in the midwest, having the freedom to run my own business and my own life (and my children's lives when they let me - just kidding!), but you understand my point - I live in a place and in such a way that I have opportunities that many native American women just don't have. The other thought I derived from the play was that even though these 7 women did some fighting and arguing, in the end they were all sisters of such - held together by a common bond of a need for survival. One of the most enjoyable parts for me was that the background for the play was all drums - the program explained that they were using African drums - just like the one Karen got for her birthday (yesterday's blog post) only 100 times larger - and boy, could those women play! They were amazing. Don't know - there's something about the beat of these drums...keeps coming to me over and over again from different sources...might be important in some way????

No comments:

Post a Comment