Saturday, February 6, 2010

Boundaries Again?

It seems I keep running into this concept of boundaries in my life. As you know, I've been personally trying to learn how to set and enforce boundaries in my life to keep me in (and out of your business) and you out (and out of my business). That sounds harsh, but you get my drift - like a fence around a yard. I have to walk my path and you have to walk your path. So, I've gotten better at realizing I don't have to make everyone happy, that it's not my responsibility to make sure everyone likes and approves of me, etc., etc. But now the issue is other people with no boundaries (or at least not very good ones). Now that I am learning to see and recognize where boundaries should be, I'm finding people all around me without any. Why exactly, I wonder, does it seem that everyone thinks they know (and should tell) everyone else how to live? And it's not with animosity that I say this...it's with a sense of amazement - no wonder we're all exhausted - we're busily trying to live (and feeling responsible for) twenty lives instead of just our own! You know, my dad was a very quiet man. He hardly ever gave you his opinion - if he did, it was because you asked him to (sometimes had to insist that he give it to you), and I wonder...did he just have a good set of boundaries? Had he caught on to something that alot of us have missed? Yet my dad had the gift of wisdom, so I often thought that a well spoken word from him may have helped people in their different situations. It is in all actuality very freeing, I believe, to come to the conclusion that I'm not responsible to give everyone the answers I believe I have - maybe somethings have to be learned by each person on their own, and I have to be willing to give them the space and time to do that in their own way. I can only set boundaries to keep their path from infiltrating too far into my own. I can't say this subject is cut and dry, black and white, but I do believe that the stress level for alot of our lives would drop drastically if we'd learn to set a few boundaries, and, as grandma Gardner would have said, "tend to our own knittin'"!

No comments:

Post a Comment