Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reminiscing

So today was Super Bowl Sunday - I forgot that fact when I agreed to drive about an hour away to visit a church with a friend - but no matter, I went, I enjoyed it immensely, then I went home to begin cooking a kazillion food items for the anticipated football game. I had planned on whoever was at my house this a.m. cleaning up and sweeping through - you know, just a minimal couple of things to spruce up the place before company arrived; however, when I got home, I found both my boys playing a video game. I began doing things in the kitchen (I don't really think they even realized I came in, they were having so much fun), when suddenly, it was as if I travelled back 20+ years to the kitchen of our big old farmhouse, where I recalled the same sounds and exclamations being made. That time, my kitchen table was moved all the way to the side, my sink and stove unattainable, as my kitchen had been turned into a hockey arena. My mind floated back to that time when my boys laughed, ran around the kitchen, shooting foam pucks all over the place, and I couldn't help but ponder for a moment how wonderful the sounds coming from my living room today sounded. My kids have grown up so fast - I know every mom thinks that, but it really is true - it seems like just yesterday, they were just little ones, playing at my feet. Several times as I was doing dishes and preparing food today, I stopped to smile as my boys jumped up and down, hollering at each other, just thoroughly enjoying being together. It did this mom's heart good to see and hear her kids having a good time - making memories together and enjoying relationship with one another. Enjoy your family - life really does go by extremely quickly and we need to treasure each and every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment