Thursday, February 18, 2010

Somethin' stupid

Ever do something stupid? Just no other way to say it, it was a dumb thing to do and afterwards you think "why did I do that"? Well, I have - I was thinking about it the other day. My kids were little and my then husband, my kids, another couple and their kids were swimming at my then in-laws pool in their backyard. We adults had already gotten dressed and, I don't know what made me do it, but on an impulse I walked purposely right into the other man (our friend) and knocked him off his balance, so he fell into the pool with all his clothes on. You know, it's funny when that happens on tv! My husband was furious because we had planned to all go to dinner together (couldn't do that now) and he said, "why did you do that?" I said, "I don't know - haven't you ever done anything stupid before?" Point is, we all have. That experience was no biggie - nothing too much lost, some laughs and we didn't get to go to dinner. I guess what I was thinking about was how we look at other people and what they do sometimes and think "why did they do something that stupid?" And to carry it a step further, sometimes we think when they reap the consequences of that behavior that they got what they deserve for behaving so stupidly (in our opinion). I guess I just hope that when you see me doing something obviously stupid, that you'll have mercy on me, say a prayer for me, and feel badly for me when I reap my consequences. We all do stupid things - and some of us even do stupid things after our friends have told us not to - we have to learn on our own sometimes, eh? So go easy on yourself and on others when you see stupidity - it seems to be running rampant in our society these days.

1 comment:

  1. I chuckled cause I could totally see you doing that to one of your friends. And I so relate to the "doing something" stupid moments" I have way too many of those to count! Thanks for sharing and Im glad I found your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete