Tuesday, August 3, 2010

28 Years Ago Today!





28 years ago today, my first baby was born. After nine months of literally throwing up every single day, our little guy was on his way here. Back then they didn't tell you if you were having a boy or a girl, but we just knew he was a boy. We had been calling him "BJ" for months - short for Barry Jon, his assigned name. Here he was - 2 weeks late, or right on time, however you look at it. As soon as I woke up, I was amazed at how little my feet were - they had swollen until they looked like balloons with little vienna sausages attached to them! But I digress. Barry was perfect - we counted his toes and fingers, looked at his little body, and couldn't believe how blessed we were. He had darling dimples. We had to stay in the hospital for a week, and I remember when we left the hospital, we stopped by the Tremont Park for a family reunion and my dad admonished me sternly for having the baby out! We tried to do everything correctly - trouble was, everyone seemed to say something different was correct! But we survived, and this tiny little bundle we were now responsible for became the very focus of our existence. Memories flooded my mind all day today of his younger years, all the years playing hockey, all the fun we've had together. There have been hard times, too, of course, but we've weathered them together. I feel very proud today as I look at this little "baby" of mine who's grown into a fine, responsible young man - and he's cute, too, if I do say so myself! (Actually two of my customers even tried to hit on him once because he's so cute - before they knew he was my son - ahhhh! ) So here's to you, Barry, on your 28th birthday. You are a wonderful human being and I am very grateful for the privilege of being your mom. I love you. May you have many more years filled with happiness and success!

No comments:

Post a Comment