Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chocolate

As I sit here eating a leftover piece of dessert from my mom's birthday open house last Sunday, I'm wondering just what there is that is so enticing about chocolate. Hmmm...of course, there's the taste, but that is so short lived - the very answer to why we continue to eat more and more chocolate. Then there's the good feeling of comfort that comes from eating chocolate - and that, when weighed against the sad feelings of lost relationship rolling around my house today, well that makes chocolate my best friend until we muddle through the pain and grief of loss and what could have been. Next week, I'm changing my eating habits - but right now, chocolate may just help me endure the inevitable grief to come in the next few days along with the helplessness of seeing someone you love suffer. Relationships are hard and they are hard work - the weak in heart need not apply. Yet, in that small window of time when all is wonderful and fulfilling in that relationship, it's worth all the suffering that comes implied with the risk of giving all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment: