Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Journey

I've been thinking lately about people and relationships; specifically why it seems to be so hard, really almost impossible, for us as people to allow each other some space to walk our own path along the journey. What is it about our wanting to make everyone think the way we do and do things the way we do? What is so threatening about someone who does their path differently or walks it at a different pace than I do mine? Why is it that I think I know better how someone else should proceed along their path? I recently was ready to cut off a friendship that just wasn't what I wanted it to be and I definitely felt like it was not going to change. Now, I'm wondering if it isn't wiser to set some boundaries here and not allow this person's issues to effect me, but stay in the relationship, and let this person walk their own path without trying to force them to move along at the rate I think they should? Of course, our relationship will change, but maybe that's ok. For some reason, it seems hard to do that - maybe because I want what I consider to be the best for that person. Hmmm..the word control comes to mind?? Boundaries....they are weird little invisible, hard to put in place, hard to keep in place, little thingys! But I'm thinking if I can become better at setting them, then I can be more accepting of each person and the way they are able to maneuver along their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment