Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mother of the Groom Weekend

Illinois Beach State Park....I love this place! Last year my son Barry got married the first weekend of June. My friend Tracey's son got married the second weekend in June. So, the fourth weekend in June, Tracey and I had a "mother of the groom" getaway at Illinois Beach Resort. It was wonderful. We ate, we sat on the beach, we swam in the pool, and we watched weddings and wedding receptions from our balcony. But the funnest thing for us, I think, was we collected rocks. Just plain old paving style rocks. We were just going to pick up a few that we were "drawn" to, but in the end, we went home with four bags full of rocks - we could hardly carry them to our car! They feel good in your hand - cool, pleasant - kinda comforting if you will. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see they're all different, yet the same....pretty smooth around the edges from being tossed around Lake Michigan before being deposited on the sand. Just like us, eh? A little different, but basically all the same inside, and I for one am hoping that all this "tossing around life" is making me smooth around the edges - cool and pleasant for those who have to be around me - and maybe even a little comforting now and then.

1 comment: