Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The aging process

Ok, I have to admit that I didn't expect this. Of course, absolutely everyone tells you when you're younger, but you don't cognitively think it will happen to you. What did I cognitively think about aging? Nothing. I don't think I acknowledged it at all. This year I turned 50. No biggie - it didn't seem possible - when I think of 50, I honestly think of my mom and her sisters (who are now in their 70s) - but that's what pops to mind - I guess in my mind, that's their age. Anyway, for a small amount of time now, I have been experiencing a few minor symptoms of the hormonal adjustment, aging type process; i.e., a little hot sometimes, a little cold sometimes, a little overwhelmed and scattered sometimes, a little forgetful sometimes. Well, if I'm going to be honest I would have to say more than sometimes on the forgetful side and a tad bit more than sometimes. My only suggestion for those of you experiencing this (and I know you are) is to be able to laugh at yourself. Last night was the clincher for me. In my past employment lives I have been several things that have required my computer skills to be pretty polished - I was a legal secretary, a graphic designer, etc. But last night all I tried to do was suggest a picture from my computer to my friend's facebook page so she wouldn't be one of those blank blue shadows on her profile, when after trying several things, I decided to give up and went back to my home page and lo and behold - there she was! Her picture was now where my picture was supposed to be! I had posted her to my profile! I laughed until the neighbors would have thought I was nuts if they could hear me. Now everyone would see Regina's picture when they looked at my page. Oh my! After I finally got her off my spot, and she finally figured out how to get that picture on her spot, I decided to change my profile picture to a picture of my kids - it worked great - until I went to post a comment and to my great horrification, I find 2 partial bodies in my picture - yes, it had cut both of the boys and part of the girls out! In the meantime the picture showed up like a posting on my wall and nice people were commenting on it and again, I laughed and laughed and laughed! Technologically challenged? How could I be? After all, I was a computer whiz - sort of! Anyway, I guess laughing at myself and the situation ends up being the very best medicine after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment