Sunday, October 25, 2009

Too much giving?

Once upon a time after a kingsize trauma occurred in my life, I went to see a counselor. Now, I LOVE counselling - I wish I had the money, I'd go all the time. I think everyone should see a counselor - a good one, of course. Anyway, I digress. He pointed out to me something that floated back towards the front of my brain in the past few days. He told me that one of the problems with my situation (back then and probably some of them now) was that I didn't know when it was ok to back off. Hmmm. Is that ever Christianlike? I wasn't sure. He explained it like this. He said I give 100% to my job, situation, relationship - whatever it was we were discussing. Then the other side of the relationship (let's just say for ease of example) doesn't give 100% back. So a healthy person at that point would stick with their giving of the 100% or maybe even back off a little bit. But what does Deb do? She increases her level of giving and now gives 125% and somehow expects that giving extra will entice the other side to give her more. And you guessed it, when that doesn't happen, she gives 150%, thinking again that surely the other side will recognize her dedication and loyalty and will respond more favorably. When that still doesn't happen, she keeps giving at a ridiculous rate, but starts to get resentful. Hmmm. She never knows when it's ok to set a boundary and say, I'm giving my 100%, but I'm not overgiving since I'm not getting back from this relationship what I should. So what does that all mean? What I've decided as I've re-pondered this information lately is that God, indeed, is ok with my setting healthy boundaries that allow me to give what I should, expect to receive what I should, and when I don't, He's ok with my pulling back some and perhaps avoiding the nastiness of resentment in my soul. If I can accomplish this task, I believe my life will be healthier, happier, and just all around better.

No comments:

Post a Comment