Friday, October 16, 2009

Parade Director

Recently I was pondering a decision I had to make that would have a large affect on my life. As I shared with my friend about my dilemma of choices, she reminded me to think about the fact that I like to direct my own parade. Hmmmm. I wasn't offended - she wasn't being mean, she was merely asking me to make sure that the decision I was contemplating was not just because I wanted to be in charge and really was the best decision for me and all that goes with me. She cares about me and could see my situation a little more clearly than I could at that moment. Everyone needs someone in their lives, I believe, who they allow to be completely honest with them. It has to be someone you trust - someone you know cares about you and your well being. Not just someone who wants to boss you around or act like they're better than you. Someone whose motivation is pure. We've all been hurt by people in our relationships that we are supposed to be able to trust - someone in a support group or a church group, a neighborhood friend, etc. But it is vitally important to our ability to see ourselves accurately (which none of us is able to do totally) that we have at least one person who we allow to look at us and say, "remember, you kind of like to direct your own parade".

No comments:

Post a Comment